Friday, January 23, 2009

Sewing Projects




Here is a picture of some babylegs I just got done making (aka baby legwarmers). They are $11 to buy, and I had seen a website that had directions on how to make them out of socks. I found a 2 pack of girls knee socks for $3.84 at Walmart today and thought I would try them out. They work pretty well, but I think next time I will buy large girls socks or womens socks. The ones I bought were medium, and the foot was almost too short to use as the binding at the bottom. I tried them on Marleigh after I had finished the first one and they worked pretty well, but they won't fit for very long. I had to get her to sleep so that I could finish the rest of my project, but I will post some pics soon of her with them on. You can also use them on your kids arms for that cute layered look. I am so impatient and unskilled when it comes to sewing that I was amazed that I could actually pull off this project! Here is how my sewing kick started- Those of you that have been to our house have probably noticed that we only have one bedroom upstairs. All the boys are downstairs in a shared room, and there is a room-in-progess that will someday be where Marleigh sleeps, but for now, she sleeps in a pack-n-play in our room. She doesn't like to sleep in the bassinet part, and I figured it was because it is too small now that she moves around a little bit in her sleep. I went looking for pack-n-play sheets, and was surprised that they were like $10!! I went looking on eBay, and found someone selling a pattern to make them. Aha! I thought I would search for a free pattern online and found one pretty quickly. It was made from a twin flat sheet- which I have plenty of them since my boys aren't big fans of flat sheets. I found a neutral one and tried it out. It works awesomely! (The lady also has patterns for crib sheets out of a flat sheet, so maybe I will try that next.) I was so excited to try my new pack-n-play sheet out. It fit perfectly! I laid Marleigh down, and she stayed asleep!! For 30 minutes... then she was back in bed with Nate and I! Too bad we don't have room for a king size bed in our room!! At least she doesn't move all over yet or kick us in the ribs. Oh well, maybe the pack-n-play will be somewhere she likes to sleep someday, just not today... anyway... check out this ladies website- everythingyourmamamade.com I think- there is a link on the right side of my blog- she has some fun things! The other website I have a link to has a cute pattern for baby yoga pants you make out of an old tshirt- too bad I just sent a ton of Nates to DI last month!!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Thanks for all the great ideas :) I wish I was a better seamstress, but I think I'm too impatient with it. Good thing my mother in-law is a pro & always willing to help with a new project. Can't wait to see the pics of Marleigh in her leg warmers :) Love all the cute pics of the pj pants.

*Ashleigh* said...

Fun! I wish I dared touch a sewing machine! I will... soon. I meant to comment earlier but couldn't pull up your page?? n e way. talk to ya soon! btw can't wait to see Marleigh wear those "leg warmers"

Dena Moon said...

Very cute! I should have you show me how to make them if our future baby turns out to be a girl baby!