Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Things We Do For Our Kids

So as a little follow up to the Jedi Training Brock and Carter did at Disneyland... Brock was so sure that if you got picked, you got to keep the Jedi robes, because they saw a girl walking around in one. They did get picked during the Jedi Training Academy show, but, sadly, had to give back the robes and the "training" light sabers. I promised them we would go to the Star Wars store (at Disneyland) and I would let them pick something out. I didn't want to carry the stuff around all day, so we said at the end of the day we would go back and they could get something. It was a long day of "can we go to the Star Wars store yet?", and a lot of "If you ask us again, we won't go at all!!" "We will go back, just not now!!" Nate wasn't very happy that I had "promised" them we would go in the first place, but I'm a pushover, what can I say? So we went to the store, and immediately they started looking for the Jedi robes. We found them in the back of the store, and they were just the cheapie Halloween costume type robes, and they were $45.00!!! They were heartbroken when I told them no, but there was no way I was going to pay that much when I could go home and buy them for less than $20.00, or just make one. Brock ended up going with a pack of Star Wars mini figures, Carter picked a Ewok stuffed animal, and Tyson picked a little Yoda "Stitch" -its so cute! (It's also already in pieces somewhere in the van- Carter said he found the head, but now its lost again- haven't quite made it to the cleaning of the car, so I'm sure Stitch/Yoda will be back with us soon...) So, anyway, back on track... I got online yesterday and found a pattern for a Jedi robe. It looked simple enough for me to attempt, so I printed it out, read through the instructions, and in the notes at the bottom, it said that one reader had used a flat sheet to make theirs. So, off to Walmart I went with Carter, Tyson, and Marleigh in tow. I hate Walmart and try to avoid it, but I found it is less painful if you go during the day, and if I don't have all the kids- even one less helps!! I bought 3 flat sheets at $3.00 a piece, and went home to get started. It took me about an hour to make Carter's, and it turned out pretty good. He loved it, and he was outside playing in it all afternoon. Last night I made Brock's, and his went together pretty quick, but I did have to unpick and resew the hood on twice because I sewed it on inside out. I made Tyson's this morning, and whipped his up in about 30 minutes. The sleeves ended up a little short because I was a little hasty, but still, he loves it. They all had them on outside while they were playing with friends, and when Nate let Tyson go out, one of the neighbor kids said, "Even Tyson has one?" and looked like he was about to cry! Nate told me I should make some for all the neighbors- I'll have to think about that- that would be 4 more- it seems like a lot more work when it's not for my own kids! Just wanted to share, and yes, brag slightly- (I will post pics soon) I surprise myself when I actually pull off a sewing project- my mom is a whiz with a sewing machine and can do anything, but I am so impatient with it, that I usually end up having my mom fix things for me. Maybe I am just slowly turning into a grown-up, though. I am only 8 weeks away from 30, after all! (I told my mom one day I don't feel like a grown up, and she said sometimes she doesn't either. Maybe we never really have to grow up all the way.) Maybe someday I will like sewing and maybe even be kinda good at it, and maybe I will find joy instead of frustration when I make a pie from scratch- okay, that last one is definitely a stretch... but I do love to do things to make my kids happy, and if it means letting the housework go to make Jedi robes, so be it!! Nothing is as fulfilling as a sincere "Thanks Mom!!" Or "You should make this again, Mom!" Someday they will be embarrassed by me, maybe at some point say they hate me, so I treasure the time that they are little and think I know everything, and WANT to talk to me, and think I am the greatest girl in their life.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the pics at the top of your blog! I'm glad that the robes turned out great. Seth can't wait to play with your boys and keeps asking how many weeks til Gen. Conf. :) It will be fun to get together again.

christa said...

awwww!!! That was such a sweet post!! Seriously, I was almost in tears! You're such an awesome mom!! K, so I have to ask...where did you get the pattern? I wanna be cool too!

*Ashleigh* said...

Can't wait to see the pics of the jedi robs!!! You are awesome! You make me want to start sewing!