Saturday, April 18, 2009

Brocks Baptism

Okay, a week later, I am finally getting around to blogging Brock's baptism. Yes, I am a slacker mom, and I am blogging because my sister posted Brock's baptism before I got to it, so, Ashleigh, thanks for motivating me- and no, not sarcastically, really, thank you!!
We planned the baptism for 5:00 pm so my grandparents would be able to make it, because they are temple workers at the Jordan River temple on Saturdays. I didn't want to have everyone crammed into my house, so after the baptism, we ate and hung out at the church. I didn't really spend any time cleaning my house because everyone was going to meet at the church. However, several people showed up early, so I had about 30 or so people in my house in its "natural state"- so yes, now everyone knows how much work goes into me getting ready for as group! I was slightly embarrassed, but then chose not to care and put the focus on getting ready for the baptism. We started out in the Relief Society room, and the bishop asked if we had a program, since he was conducting. No, I didn't have a program, or songs picked out, or pianists, choristers, or prayers assigned. Hello!! I quickly jotted down who was doing what, called on grandparents to pray, and thankfully, Christine stepped in to play the piano, and I used my skills from 8th grade choir to muddle through leading the songs! I asked my brother Jared to give the talk on baptism a few days before, and he did an awesome job. He is getting ready to leave on his mission, so it was pretty special to have him participate. Brock really looks up to him, and he is a great example to Brock, as well as the his other nephews. After Jared's talk, we walked to the other side of the church to the font. Brock was baptized by Nate, and they both did everything perfect. Brock is such a great example to his brothers, and they were so excited to get to see him go under the water. We then went back over to the Relief Society room while they were changing, and our bishop said a few words about the important role everyone in the room plays in helping Brock make the right decisions, and to guide him in his life. I really appreciated the words from Bishop Houston. I had a hard time holding the tears back, because I have a niece and nephew that were there that have not been baptized, but are old enough to be, and I love them so much, and wish that they had the same blessings. My little nephew told his mom later, while we were eating dinner, that he wanted to get baptised. He is such a sweetie, and has such a strong spirit, but his family is not active right now, and unfortunately, that is holding him back. (They aren't against him being baptised, they just want him to understand what it means, and take it seriously if he chooses to get baptised.) I am glad that Brock was an example to him, and that it has never been a question for him. He knew he wanted to be baptised when he turned 8. After Nate and Brock came back in the room, I gave a talk on the holy ghost, and talked about repentance, then he was confirmed- also another special first for Jared to get to participate in. We all went into the gym after the confirmation, and ate and enjoyed each others company. After everyone left, and the cleanup was done, we headed home. That night, I noticed a different boy. Brock was so calm and peaceful- I had never seen him as peaceful as I did that day. It was so amazing. The next day was Easter, and still, this calm little boy, that now had the holy ghost with him. You could feel the Spirit so strongly! Sunday night at bedtime, Carter said to me, "but mom, what if we get scared?" and Brock answered, "it's okay Carter, we'll be safe, I have the Holy Ghost with me now." and yes, I am tearing up as I remember and type this. I hope that I can always be an example to my children, and that they will always have a strong desire to stand up for their beliefs, make good choices, and be an example to others. Brock also commented that night that he is glad he got baptized, because it is the first step to getting to heaven. If we could all remember those basics and simplify things in our own lives. Thank you Brock, for being an example to your brothers and sister, and also to your mom and dad!!
This is Brock with Sister Mirenaka, his Primary teacher. She is so sweet, and is such a great example. We love her!! She gave Brock a baptism pillowcase, and Brock was so excited to come home and color it and put it on his pillow.

Nate and Brock before the baptism- Brock was SO excited!


3 comments:

Jenny said...

we were so glad we could make it :) Seth is pretty excited to get baptized now :) Only 2 1/2 years to go!! Congrats to Brock!!

Crystal said...

Wow I can't believe yo have an eight year old. Crazy. I am so glad you found me on facebook. I am much more of a blogger then I am a facebooker. Kelli and jami facebook so they got me to start one. I have a blog my address is devinandcrystal.blogspot. My email address is devsgirl_1@yahoo.com. Now we have no excuse but to keep in touch. Are you guys still in Missouri? We are only in Oregon for another year and then back to Wyoming where Devin is from. He is from a small town on the Idaho Wyoming boarder about three hours from SLC. So I am excited to be back close to family. Three hours is nothing compared to 15. I am expecting my first baby in November and I am thrilled. Email me and we can catch up some more.

Jenny said...

Did you guys change your e mail address? I wrote you an email and it came back saying there was an error. I hope you get it.