Thursday, April 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Brock!

So better late than never, right? Brocks birthday was on the 21st, and I have just kinda spaced blogging it. We are baptizing him on the 11th, so it is a little bit of a spread out celebration. We kept the day pretty simple. He hasn't ever went to school on his bday because it is the end of the term at school, so they always get an exra day off. His bday was on a Sauturday this year, but he got the monday after off, too, so extra days to enjoy his bday. On the 13th, I went to school and had lunch with him at the birthday table. Our elementary school has one friday a month that they celabrate that months birthday, and the school pays for lunch for mom or dad to come have lunch with their birthday kid. SO fun! School lunch is not necessarily something to get excited over, but it was fun to have that special time with Brock. (I also love that our school have free breakfast in the mornings for all the students- even the kindergarteners- my kids can get up 10 minutes before they need to leave for school, and still get a healthy breakfast- LOVE it!!)
Nate and I went to our friend, Jeremys, surprise party on Friday night, the 20th, so my little sis Lindsay came to stay with the boys (and play American Idol on the Wii), and stayed the night, so she was here Saturday for Brocks bday. We told him he had to wait until 12:13 pm to open his presents, but didn't end up sticking to that! He was most excited about Cabelas Big Game Hunter (A video game for the Wii) and the gun to go with it. He has been having a lot of fun with it, and is getting really good at it. We didn't go anywhere that day- just vegged at home, and gave Brock unlimited game time. It was so great to just hang out together at home. Everyone was happy, and it was a heck of a lot cheaper! We decided not to do a party beacuse we wanted to keep the focus on his baptism, and focus on celabrating that. He was a little bummed for a minute, but he did have his bff, Spencer, here the Sunday and Monday after his bday, so that was good enough for him.
Here is Brock opening up his new game- look how happy!!
These are some Star Wars minifigures that Cater picked out for him. Also a huge hit

So Brock wanted a hunting cake- I went all over the place trying to find forest animals, but couldn't find them anywhere! I ended up at Walmart, and bought a $2.00 bag of safari animals and picked out the best ones. I was cracking up as I was looking through the bag of aniamls, because there was a little rhino that was smaller than the tiger, the tiger and the elephat were the same size, and the gorilla was bigger than the tiger and the elephant. So, yeah, I did have to be pretty selective to find animals that would work! I made a devils food cake, frosted it with vanilla frosting- I tinted a little bit of the frosting blue for my tiny little pond, then I took oreos with chocolate filling, and crushed them and coved the rest of the cake with the crumbs to look like dirt. I am a horrible cake froster, so I am a big fan of the cookie crumb coverup on cakes!


I still can't beleive that my "baby" is 8- I remember when Nate and I were first married, and I was in the nursery in our ward, and I would look at families with older kids, and I couldn't imagine ever getting to that stage. Now we are here, and the time went so fast! I always tell my kids they can't grow up, but they just keep doing it! We have the baptism in a week, then Tysons bday a couple of weeks later, then Carters a couple of weeks after that, so this is just the fisrt "birthday season" installment- hopefully I will be able to stay on top of it all!

2 comments:

*Ashleigh* said...

Wow, I'm a horrible aunt! HAPPY BELATED B-DAY BROCK!! Sounds like it was fun... I love the first pic of Brock with his Wii game... it looks like Nate has corn rows (or rolls, I dunno, I don't speak... uhhh, ghetto haha!) n-e-way, I'm excited for Brock Baptism, we'll see ya there :D

Jenny said...

love the b-day cake! Sounds like it tasted good! We won't make it to Brock & Christine's tomorrow, we are still all sick! We are definetely planning on Brock's baptisim though!!